Willowdale Business Improvement Area (BIA) serves 1800 member businesses and commercial property owners in the area along Yonge between the 401 and Bishop Avenue. Our goal is to create a prosperous business community by attracting shoppers, diners, tourists, and new businesses to the area while supporting our members. Newly formed in the first quarter of 2021, the BIA is overseen by a dedicated new voluntary Board of Directors. The Development and Marketing Manager will play a critical role in supporting the organization’s strategic development and marketing initiatives, maintaining brand consistency and undertaking a variety of marketing and economic development projects to promote Willowdale BIA as a great place to work, dine, shop, play and live.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Manage and report on marketing budgets at the direction of the Executive Director.
- Coordinate with the Executive Director to develop the BIA’s branding with a marketing firm based on market data and including a member consultation process.
- Ensure brand consistency across various projects and platforms.
- Propose, design, develop, source and execute innovative marketing, event and promotional campaigns tailored to the Willowdale BIA business community which are in alignment with the BIA’s strategic plans.
- Develop strategies, communications and prepare content for e-newsletters and other materials; as well as liaise with suppliers such as our social media manager.
- Develop and produce future festival and events, in-house and/or outsourced to a management company depending upon the scale of the event.
- Use of key marketing performance metrics and tracking tools in order to translate results into actionable insights for the Board and Members.
- Engage media other influencers at the direction of the Executive Director (print, digital, video, TV) locally and across Toronto including preparing and disseminating press releases, etc. Keep up-to-date a database of relevant contacts.
- Propose, develop and coordinate COVID-19 economic recovery initiatives with the Executive Director.
- Inclusive promotion and marketing of our diverse membership across different sectors.
- Foster and maintain positive stakeholder relationships within the BIA, its members, volunteers, suppliers and collaborative partners.
- Develop partnership policies and build new partnerships for events, member support, streetscaping and other projects.
- Prepare grant applications and seek sponsorship for BIA events and initiatives.
- Undertake place-marketing and promotion of vacancies to site selectors and entrepreneurs.
- Attend relevant Subcommittee Meetings as needed including drafting agendas, preparing communications and other reports.
- Supporting the Executive Director as needed with a variety of tasks and projects, which will evolve as the strategic plan is developed.
- Supervise volunteers and interns upon request.
- Comply with Willowdale BIA purchasing and other policies including preparing RFQ/Ps as needed.
Education: Post-secondary education in Marketing, PR, Advertising, Economic Development or another relevant field.
Experience: Minimum of three to five years demonstrated experience in marketing, sales, destination or community marketing, content creation or design, event planning, pr, development, fundraising or grant writing, or other relevant experience.
- Technologically adept and able to learn new software
- Excellent MS Office, primarily PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Teams skills required
- Comfortable in Google Suite and PC
- Experience with Constant Contact or similar software
- Design (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Canva), photography and/or other media skills
Core Competencies Required to Perform Role:
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, partnership building and organizational skills
- Solid grasp of both traditional, digital and creative marketing strategies
- Tact and de-escalation communication skills across platforms
- Excellent content writing skills
- Self-starter, critical thinker and team player
- Strong project or event management skills
Additional Preferred Skills (Not Required):
- Excellent verbal and written Korean, Mandarin or Cantonese
- Experience in a BIA, Realty, Start-up, Non-Profit, Community or Member Association
Full-time (40 hours/week) with flexibility needed. Primarily Monday to Friday. Some evenings or weekends during events or for meetings.
$60,000 to $70,000 depending upon the skills/qualifications of the candidate.
Employee benefits sharing program
Performance-based bonus structure
A dynamic Board that wants to deliver
A variety of work that keeps things interesting
How to Apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted. A police records check will be required. The position will be filled once we find the right candidate.
Able to follow COVID-19 protocols including wearing a mask. Ability to interact positively with multiple individuals. Ability to lift a minimum of 20kg and physical ability to traverse the area to visit member businesses and the area in the future. Working home office wifi is a requirement for employment during COVID-19.